Custom Search

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Slumdog children becoming homeless, nation's shame: Pookutty

Agencies - May 21, 2009

They may have walked the red carpet at this year's Osars but Azhar and Rubina, the two child protagonists of 'Slumdog Millionaire' find themselves homeless today and it is a matter of national shame says Oscar winner Resul Pookutty. 

"It's such a pity that kids like Azhar and Rubina are nearly homeless today and we cannot do anything to arrange for a simple dwelling for them. There are thousands of kids like them in our country who meet with a similar fate and I wish I could do something for all of them," he said. 

Pookutty is associated with an NGO called 'Spandan', established by a group of college students in Pune.  The ace technician who won the Oscar for Best Sound Editing for 'Slumdog', the first ever by an Indian, was in Delhi to interact with a group of homeless children supported by an NGO.

The Academy Award winner declined to comment on recent accusations that 'Slumdog' over fantasiced reality and didn't deserve the Oscars. "I have nothing to say, people have their individual takes but the truth is in front of everyone to see.  The film has received success everywhere," he said. 

The sound designer from Kerala feels Indian music as a whole has gained greater global recognition post 'Slumdog Millionaire'.  "You cannot compare the acceptance from Western audiences with that of India, but Indian Music is not alien to the world now after the super success of the film," he said. 

An excited Pookutty seemed upbeat about his upcoming projects including three international ones.  "I have around six projects in the coming months which include 'Blue', 'Prince' and Kamal Hassan starrer '19 steps' along with international projects that I cannot reveal at this moment. But one of them is a French movie and I am also considering an offer from Croatia." 

Talking about personal preferences in his work, the technician said 'Black and 'Gandhi my Father' are extremely close to his heart. "After Black I had featured in the American Cinematography Magazine being the first Indian to do so and 'Gandhi My Father' is emotionally very close to me and working on it has been the most challenging till date," Pookutty said. 

"To be very frank, technicans here always remain the unsung heroes and are never the face of any cinema, this is really sad," he said expressing his disappointment on the plight of technicians in Bollywood. 

On being asked about his dream after the Oscar's, Pookutty was prompt with his reply, "I want to make a film in my own language, and I guess it is a dream for every individual associated with film-making."

Source: http://www.screenindia.com

Jackson postpones opening gigs of London comeback tour

By ANI - May 21, 2009

Michael Jackson has postponed the first four concerts of his comeback tour This Is It UK in London. 

The King of Pop, who was due to kick off a much-awaited 50-show run at the 20,000-capacity O2 Arena on July 8, said he needed more time for rehearsals to ensure the shows were perfect. 
While the opening night has been put back to July 13, three other gigs, previously slated for July 10, 12 and 14, will not be staged until March next year. 

Randy Phillips, President of concert promoters AEG Live, said Jackson and his creative director, Kenny Ortega, had prompted the delay. "Kenny and Michael are, at the same time, both creative pioneers and perfectionists," the ‘BBC’ quoted Phillips as saying in a statement. 

"This show has grown in size and scope, thereby necessitating more lead time for manufacture of the set, programming the content for the massive video elements, and, most importantly, more time for full production and dress rehearsals,” he added. 

Phillips continued: "As much as we agonised over this change in the original schedule, we are sure the fans will understand when they experience the level of entertainment Michael Jackson intends to deliver." Ortega apologised to the fans for the rescheduled dates, saying: "We apologise to all disappointed Michael Jackson fans and remain extremely dedicated and focused on creating an exceptional live music experience." 

Although full refunds are being offered to those who cannot make it for the re-arranged gigs, some fans are livid. Pam A wrote on a Michael Jackson messageboard: "What difference is a week going to make in the grand scheme of things?” 

Another fan calling themselves janmic, added: “I had plane tickets booked from Canada. I'm supposed to be returning home on July 9th. I am really not impressed."

Source: http://www.screenindia.com

Penelope flees Cannes party to avoid Orlando

Agencies - May 21, 2009

Spanish beauty Penelope Cruz was forced to flee a Cannes party when she came to know that ex-boyfriend Orlando Bloom will be arriving with his super model girlfriend for the same event. 

The 35-year-old 'Vicky Christina Barcelona' star told the organisers that she was feeling sick and made a quick exit as soon as she was informed that Bloom is also expected to arrive, reported ‘Mirror.co.uk’. 

Cruz had briefly dated the 'Pirates of the Carribean' actor in 2006 after her split from Matthew Mc Conaughey and wanted to avoid any awkward scenes. 

The Academy winning actress who is currently dating fellow Spaniard, actor Javier Bardem left fellow party goers Paris Hilton and Lily Cole stunned with her decision to leave abruptly. 

The 32-year-old Bloom has been dating Australian supermodel Miranda Kerr for more than a year now, with reports suggesting that the couple are soon to tie the knot.

Source: http://www.news.google.com

Woman Who Choked Cowell’s Ex Was Getting Revenge For Abdul

By RollingStone - May 21, 2009

As Rock Daily reported yesterday, American Idol judge Simon Cowell’s ex-girlfriend Terri Seymour was assaulted following Tuesday night’s performance show. Now the 33-year-old woman who choked Seymour is speaking to Radar Online from jail — and reveals the motive behind her attack was revenge for Paula Abdul.

Janice Thibodeaux tells Radar Online, “I wasn’t cool with Simon Cowell choking Paula Abdul on the show last week and with her crying-out ‘help’ as he did so,” referring to Cowell mock-attacking Abdul during judging. ”Nobody said anything about that so I wanted to confront him about it because that is not appropriate behavior, is it?” Thibodeaux also claimed she was a former security guard at AI and bought a ticket to attend the Tuesday showdown between Adam Lambert and Kris Allen. When she saw Seymour in the crowd, Thibodeaux decided to confront her instead of Cowell.

“She was taking some photographs with her camera and I knew she was his girlfriend so I went up to her to tell her how I felt. We started arguing and then I put my hands around her neck and started choking her just like Simon had done with Paula,” Thibodeaux explained. “Then I walked away and I was tackled by the police but I don’t regret what I did because of what Simon did to Paula, nobody seemed to care about that.” Thibodeaux is being held on $52,000 and has not yet consulted an attorney.

This isn’t the first time Idol has run into trouble with a viewer. In November 2008, an obsessed fan of Abdul’s named Paula Goodspeed died of a drug overdose in front of Abdul’s Los Angeles home. Goodspeed previously auditioned, and was rejected, from American Idol in 2006. Prior to the audition, Goodspeed had stalked and written to Abdul for 18 years, a fact overlooked by producers when they allowed Goodspeed to audition in front of her on idol.

Source: www.rollingstone.com

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Liz Hurley ready for a comeback

ANI - May 20, 2009

After staying away from the cameras for five years, Elizabeth Hurley is once again planning to make a comeback to the film industry. 

Hurley rebuffed the suggestion that her decision to stay away from films came in the wake of the failure of her last film ‘Method’ to be granted a cinema release.  She said that it was instead her son Damian, born in 2002, because of whom she did not make movies. 

"I decided I couldn't do movies for a while, which was a huge decision for me because I actually love making movies more than anything," the Telegraph quoted her as saying. 

The 43-year-old star says that she is ready to do any film role, provided it could be organized around her son’s school holidays.

Source: http://www.screenindia.com

Eminem puts on free concert in Detroit

AP - May 20, 2009

DETROIT — Eminem has given hundreds of hometown fans in Detroit extra reason to celebrate his first new album in almost five years — a free show.

The rapper put on a free concert at MotorCity Casino's 1,500-seat Sound Board theater Tuesday — the same day his album "Relapse" was released.

Spokesman Dennis Dennehy says Eminem performed eight songs. The set was largely new, except for "Lose Yourself" from the film "8 Mile."

The show comes after Eminem and Jimmy Kimmel flew about 200 laid-off auto workers to Los Angeles for the rapper's Friday appearance on Kimmel's TV show. "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" also plans to feature Eminem on Tuesday and Friday.

Source: http://www.google.com

Mah Govt hopes Aamir Khan won't shun their award

Agencies - May 20, 2009

In Bollywood, it is common knowledge that actor Aamir Khan shuns awards functions, even ones where he is to receive the award. 

Maharashtra Government is hoping that Aamir makes an exception for the Maharashtra State Awards ceremony to be held Pune on May 30.  Maharashtra Government plans to present the Raj Kapoor Lifetime Achievement Award to actress Rekha and honour Aamir with the Raj Kapoor Memorial Award for Special Contribution. 

The actor has given his consent to the award but has conveyed to us that he has film shooting commitments for May 30, a senior State Government official said. 

"Rekha has assured us that she would be present at the awards nite and we are keeping our fingers crossed that Aamir attends," the official said. 

The V Shantaram Award, instituted by Maharashtra Government, would be presented to veteran lyricist Jagdish Khebudkar and actor-director Mahesh Kothare. 

Each award comprises of Rs 2 lakhs, a citation and a memento. The Shantaram Awards are presented to those who have made a mark in the Marathi film industry, while the Raj Kapoor Awards honour achievers from the Hindi film industry. 

Minister for cultural affairs Harshvardhan Patil said the ministry has also decided to felicitate recipients of the Padma awards this year who belong to the film industry, including singers Udit Narayan, Kumar Sanu and Shamshad Begum and music director Pandit Hridaynath Mangeshkar. 

There are also plans to felicitate the stars of the Oscar-winning film 'Slumdog Millionaire' and double Oscar winner music director A R Rahman has also been invited, the official said.

Source: http://www.screenindia.com

Preserving history in motion

Bangladesh Film Archive celebrates 31st anniversary

By Nadia Sarwat - May 20, 2009

Bangladesh Film Archive celebrated its 31st anniversary on May 17 with renewed enthusiasm and hopes, as it is finally going to move to its own building at Agargaon, Sher-e-Bangla Nagar. The institute has also managed to secure a generous grant from Japan recently. On the occasion of the anniversary, a daylong event was held at the Central Public Library, featuring a poster exhibition, discussion and screening of the classic feature film "Shurjo Dighal Bari" (1979).

Screen diva of yesteryears, and currently a member of the parliament, Sarah Begum Kabori inaugurated the poster exhibition at the Shawkat Osman Auditorium premises. Dr. Kamal Abdul Naser Chowdhury, additional secretary, Ministry of Information was present as special guest. The exhibition featured over a hundred rare posters of Bengali feature films that were released between 1959 and 1991. Posters of "Matir Pahar" (1956), "Dharapat" (1963), "Shutorang" (1964), "Rupban" (1965), "Abirbhab" (1968), "Arunodoyer Agnisakshi" (1972), "Dhirey Bohey Meghna" (1973), "The Rain" (1976), "Dumurer Phool" (1978), "Ashikkhito" (1978), "Janmo Thhekey Jolchhi "(1981) and many more films were on display at the exhibition. 

The discussion was presided over by Information Secretary Samar Chandra Pal. State Minister for Housing and Public Works Advocate Abdul Mannan Khan was the chief guest. Noted cultural personality Syed Hasan Imam was present as special guest. Filmmaker and president of Bangladesh film Archive Alumni Association, Morshedul Islam reminisced on the early days of Bangladesh Film archive. Dr. Muhammad Jahangir Hossain, director general of Bangladesh Film Archive, welcomed the audience and informed on the history, development and recent activities of the organisation. Bangladesh Film Archive (BFA) started its journey under the name 'Film Institute and Archive' in 1978. It's been a member of International Federation of Film Archives (FIAF) in Brussels since 1980. Committed to promote and preserve films and rare documents on celluloid, BFA acts as a centre to encourage a healthy film movement in the country. The organisation also extends support to national and international film festivals to familiarise the audience with the heritage of Bangladeshi cinema. 

The organisation has a collection of 2,269 films including a copy of the first film in the world by the Lumier Brothers (1896). BFA also has a rich library where thousands of books on films, still photographs, posters, scripts, books of songs, magazines and other documents are preserved. Beside, BFA organises many research-based and educational programmes, trainings, workshops, seminars and symposium on films. BFA also screens films once a week.  Recognising the importance of preserving films as "documents in motion," and to develop the organisation as a full-fledged film institution, the State Minister assured to provide necessary support to the organisation on behalf of the government of Bangladesh, calling it a "national responsibility." 

The event ended with a screening of the film, "Shurjo Dighal Bari," scripted and directed by Shiekh Neyamat Ali and Masihuddin Shaker. Adapted from the novel by Abu Ishaak, the film's story is set in the backdrop of the famine in the '50s.

Source: http://www.thedailystar.net

Cinebeat Shadakalo turns 100

Cultural Correspondent - May 20, 2009

The 100th episode of Banglavision's musical programme "Cinebeat Shadakalo" will be aired this evening at 6:20pm. The programme features popular film songs from yesteryears.

Alongside regular segments, tonight's episode will feature special interviews of the once popular filmstars Faruk and Mahmud Koli. To mark this special occasion, the programme, which is aired in black and white, will be in colour tonight. A special segment featuring the making of the show is also a part of tonight's programme.

Shagota hosts the programme produced by Nahid Ahmed Biplab.

Source: http://www.thedailystar.net

Ballads of the Agonised Souls begins at Zainul Gallery

By Khamin - 20 May, 2009

The first solo photography exhibition titled ‘Ballads of the Agonised Souls’ by Noor Alam is being held at the Zainul Gallery of the Faculty of Fine Arts of Dhaka University. The exhibition began on May 16 and will remain open from 10:00am to 8:00pm till May 22.

Twenty-eight photographs are on display at the exhibition and each of them tries to narrate to the viewers about the struggling souls who are on the edge of a crude cold death due to Thalassemia. The photographer also tries to lock in frames the sufferings of the Thalassemia patients in portraits and still life images.

All the images that have been captured into the slow shutter speed in his D70S Nikon camera have been on the roll for the last two years. The cause of taking these images is to express the pain and agony of the Thalassemia patients whose lives wither away due to the complications involved in this disease.

‘I have been capturing the patients’ plight affected by the deadly disease for last two years and I know that this fatal disease can only be prevented through mass consciousness,’ says Alam. ‘The battle against this disease cannot be fought alone. A social movement is required to uproot Thalassemia where the government, media, physicians, guardians, patients and everyone will have equal roles to play’.

‘After watching the images of the patients, my heart bleeds for the children who have been affected with the disease for no fault of theirs. Moreover, many die due to the lack of treatment,’ says Farhana Sushmita a viewer and student of Dhaka University. Another viewer, Einstien Hasan appreciated and thanked the photographer for arranging this exhibition that indeed needs a lot of attention.

The photographer also launched a book titled ‘Ballads of the Agonised Souls’ on Shampurna, Pintu, Anika, and other children fighting the disease. The book is priced at Tk 500 and the proceeds from the sales of the book will go to the welfare of Thalassemia patients.

Source: http://www.newagebd.com