Custom Search

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Chunky Pandey to rock and roll as Elvis Presley

Agencies
Posted: Apr 29, 2009

Steve Martin has done it, so have Jonathan Rhys Myers and Kurt Rusell and now it is Bollywood's own funnyman Chunky Pandey who will play the King of Rock and Roll, Elvis Presley. Pandey, a self confessed Elvis devotee said that he wanted to interpret his idol in a never before seen manner. 

"I am playing Elvis Presley in 'Hello Darling'. The project is really exciting for me because I get to play my idol. I am a huge Presley fan and I wanted to interpret the legend in my own way. So you will get to see my version of the King," Pandey said from Mumbai. The actor who was Bollywood's reigning heartthrob during the late 80's has been out of the spotlight for some time. Pandey admitted that he harmed his career by making some wrong choices but he has learnt the lesson now and will only take up those roles which interest him. 

"I have made mistakes in my career by associating with films which were mediocre because I needed money at that time. I don't want repeat those mistakes. I have realised that there is no point doing a small film," said Pandey, who shot to fame with the cult classic 'Tezaab' which also won him a Filmfare award in the Best Supporting actor category. 

The second most important film of Pandey's career was David Dhawan's 'Aankhen' which saw him star alongside Govinda. But while Govinda has turned politician, Pandey wants to stick to his day job, that is acting. The 'Aankhen' star now wants to play a villain. 

"I am bored of comedies, I have been doing too many of them lately. What I want to do now is to play a dark character. I want a role that taps into my dark side and it will be a refreshing change for me after all the comic roles," said the 44-year-old actor. 

Pandey who has had a successful stint in TV as a judge in the popular reality show 'Zara Nachke Dikha' and 'Great Indian Laughter Challenge', achieved superstar status in the Bangladeshi film industry during the 1990s despite the fact that the actor cannot speak Bangla. After an absence of more than a decade Pandey made his comeback into Bollywood with a series of supporting roles. The actor who was last seen in the Sangeeth Sivan's action flick 'Ek:The Power of One', is excited about his upcoming releases one of which is 'Khalbali' which was postponed after the Mumbai terror attacks as one of the pivotal scenes in the film included two hotels being blown apart by bombs. 

"Khalbali' was supposed to release the same week as 26/11 incident. The film is a comedy and the two hotels that are blown up are a part of a comic sequence meant for laughs, but respecting the public sentiment, it was decided that the release will be postponed. And the film is expected to hit theatres soon now," said Pandey. 

Other than 'Khalbali', Pandey will be seen in Priyadarshan's 'De Dhana Dan', Anil Kapoor's 'Short Kut' and Ekta Kapoor's 'Paying Guest' among others.

Source: http://www.screenindia.com

No comments: