Custom Search

Thursday, May 14, 2009

I wish I could sing for Dilip Kumar: Lata Mangeshkar

Agencies - May 14, 2009

She has been the voice of some of the greatest actresses of Hindi cinema, bringing out a myriad of emotions on screen through her songs, but Lata Mangeshkar regrets not being able to sing for actor Dilip Kumar, a new book has revealed. 

Mangeshkar, who has enthralled the music lovers with her golden voice for over six decades, shares a close bond with the actor and they have a mutual admiration for each other as artistes. 

"Obviously, I can not sing for any man but when I watch Dilip Kumar sing 'Madhuban mein Radhika naache re' in 'Kohinoor', I can see the veins in his neck protruding. 

"Dilip Kumar looks as though he is actually singing, not Rafi Sahib. If I had the chance, I would have happily sung for him!," the singer says in the book 'Lata Mangeshkar: In Her Own Voice' by Nasreen Munni Kabir. 

The book, which reproduces a series of conversations between Lata and Kabir, will be launched in Mumbai tomorrow. It has been published by Niyogi Books. 

Though the singer could not sing for the actor, her wish was partly fulfilled after she recorded a duet with Dilip Kumar in 1957 film 'Musafir'. 

Kumar and Mangeshkar sang the duet 'Lage nahin chhute' for the Hrishikesh Mukherjee film. It is the only film where the actor sang on and off screen, the book says. 

The singer, who began her career in the industry by acting in Marathi films, never liked being in front of the camera and after finding success as a playback singer she never visited the sets but now she regrets not watching Dilip Kumar act. 

"When Dilip Kumar was working in films as a hero, I regret never seeing him at work-- that's another unfulfilled desire. He can no longer be the hero of a film. But when I see his old films, I think to myself 'If only I had watched him filming this scene. I wonder how he approached it,' Mangeshkar says in the book. 

Mangeshkar, the greatest playback singer in Indian cinema, has sung more than 27,000 songs. She can sing in 36 different languages including English, Russian, Dutch, Fijian and Swahili. 

Also known as India's Nightingale, the singer was awarded Dada Saheb Phalke award in 1989 and received the country's highest civilian honour, Bharat Ratna in 2001.

Source: http://www.screenindia.com

No comments: