Custom Search

Monday, April 13, 2009

Madonna tries to woo Malawian public with newspaper appeal

Agencies
Posted: Apr 13, 2009

Pop Superstar Madonna is leaving no stone unturned in her effort to adopt Mercy James as the singer has urged the Malawian public for support through an appeal in a newspaper. The 50-year-old star opened up about her aspirations for Mercy and her three-year-old Malawian son David Banda whom she adopted in 2006, in an email to Malawi's Nation newspaper, the ‘Contactmusic.com’ reported. 

"I want to provide Mercy with a home, a loving family environment and the best education and healthcare possible. 

And it's my hope that she, like David, will one day return to Malawi and help the people of their country," Madonna wrote in the email. The 'Material Girl's request for an interim adoption of three-year-old Mercy was turned down by a court in the country's capital Lilongwe earlier this month under the residential law.

She has appealed against the ruling in the Supreme Court of the African nation, but has come under fire from some human rights groups and children's charities amid notions that Mercy would be better off in her own country. 

Thanking her supporters while waiting for her next hearing, she added, "Though I have been advised that I cannot publicly discuss the pending appeal regarding my desire to adopt Mercy, I do want to say how much I appreciate the level of support that I have received from the people of Malawi and my friends around the world."

Source: http://www.screenindia.com

No comments: