Custom Search

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Bappida now in commercials, acting and even film direction

By Agencies

After composing music for many evergreen numbers and lending his voice to numerous soulful songs, Bappi Lahiri is all geared up to change tracks and present himself as an actor and a film director.

This year Lahiri would be seen acting in at least two Hindi films, one of them a big-budget. He also has plans to direct a film next year.

"I have always been experimenting in Bollywood. I started off the disco culture in the country. Many people are now bringing international artistes like Kylie Minogue to India, but I brought Samantha Fox years ago.

So why is the man popularly known as 'Bappida' exploring new grounds after tasting success as a musician? "Previously, I had also produced a Bengali film, 'Lal Dorja', which won a Golden Lotus Award. Since I have stayed in the industry since the seventies, I want to experiment further," he says.

In the upcoming romantic comedy 'Main aur Mrs Khanna', he plays an NRI tycoon, who happens to be a music lover.

"You have already seen a glimpse of my acting in a cold drink advertisement, which is a huge hit. Now you will soon see me in a full-fledged role in 'Main aur Mrs Khanna', where I am cast alongside Salman Khan and Kareena Kapoor," Lahiri said in an interview.

On the other hand, in 'Its Rocking Dard-e-Disco', which stars Bengali actress Rituparna Sengupta, Sneha Ullal and Aryaman, he is playing a 'Disco King'.

"I will make you laugh like anything in that film. My role is completely comic. I have done it in the style of Kishore 'mama'," he says.

On his plans to don the director’s hat, Bappida reveals, "Yes, I want to be a film director. I am planning to start shooting for the film in 2010. But I am not going to make a commercial film, it will be an art film. We are, however, still working on the storyline."

The man with the 'Golden Bling' says his love affair with gold ornaments has helped him to carve out a niche of his own when it comes to style.

"You see, gold is in my image. I am known as the golden man. If I don't wear these golden chains and other ornaments, people will ask me 'Bappida, where is your gold'. And if others wear gold, they say 'Oh! He is following Bappida".

The man who is known to have introduced the use of disco music in Indian cinema with an Indian flavour is best known for his songs like 'Koi Yahan Nache Nache', 'Jimmy Jimmy', 'Zubi Zubi', 'Jee Le Le', 'Bambai Se Aaya mera Dost', 'Raat Baaki', 'Tamma Tamma Loge' and 'Chalte Chalte'.

He recently lent his voice in Akshay Kumar-starrer 'Chandni Chowk to China' and had also worked in Mani Ratnam’s blockbuster 'Guru'.

However, when it comes to non-musical assignments, he says he is very choosy. "I am very selective. If I get some good projects, only then will I do it."

The 56-year-old veteran music composer-singer recently came out with an international album, 'My Love', a Rhythm 'n' Blues album by an Indian, featuring American rapper Jiddah.

He has finished working on another international project 'Slumstars' - which will feature six children from the slums of Mumbai’s Dharavi. The album is expected to release after August.

"Those slum children have sung very well in the album.

I am happy that I have brought out their talent. I want the whole world to know about them, their lives and also their pain," the Kolkata-born musician says.

His tour with the world-famous musical group 'Jackson 5' is also on track. "They will come to India next year. They will perform here and will also sing a song for me," he said

Source: Screen India.

No comments: