Custom Search

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Slumdog child star for sale? father denies

Agencies
Posted: Apr 19, 2009

The father of 'Slumdog Millionaire' actress Rubina Ali Qureshi allegedly tried to sell her for 200,000 pounds for adoption, a sting operation by a British tabloid has revealed but he has refuted the claim. 

The 'News of The World' today claimed that Rafiq had tried to sell nine-year-old Rubina to their reporters, who were posing as the agents of a wealthy Arab Sheikh keen on adopting the famous child during a sting operation last week. The newspaper has published the photographs of Rubina and her father alongwith their reporters and also posted a video of the sting operation titled "Oscar Girl For Sale" on their website. But Rubina's father Rafiq Qureshi has denied their claim saying it was a conspiracy to "malign" him. 

"They said that Sheikh's wife wanted to adopt Rubina but I said, 'I can't give away my child'. They called me again the next day and talked in English. I could not understand but said yes to whatever they said. I never knew it would create such a controversy," Rubina's father said about the meeting. 

"I will never sell Rubina. All these allegations are false. It is a conspiracy to malign my reputation. The voice in the video is not mine," Rafiq claimed. 

Rubina's stepmother Munni reiterated her husband's statement saying, "An Arab lady had approached us to adopt Rubina but her father told her that she could come and meet the child but we will not give her up."

Source: http://www.screenindia.com

No comments: